Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Mom's Kitchen: Chinese Egg Custard Dessert

Between our recent trip to Hong Kong, a broken toe, and craziness at work, I've been rather absent in the blogosphere.  I hope to regain normalcy soon!

Whilst I get back on my feet (literally and figuratively), I'd like to share another Mom's Kitchen recipe.  This one is inspired by all the egg custard desserts I had in Hong Kong.  :)



Prep Time: 5-10 min

Cook Time: ~15 min on low heat

Ingredients: (2 servings)
  • 2 whole eggs or 4 egg whites (shown here measured out to be ~100mL)
  • 150 mL Milk (for the 4 egg whites)
  • 4 tsp Sugar 
Directions:
Start by boiling water in your steamer and then simmer on low heat.  If you do not have a steamer, you can also use a lidded pan and add a metal rack like this one.  You can then place a plate on your rack to hold your cups of custard.

Combine egg whites, milk, and sugar in a bowl.  Beat.

Strain your mixture to ensure smoothness and pour into your custard cups.

Place your cups on your steaming rack.  

Put foil over your cups either individually or my lazy-cover-everything way :)

Let steam over low heat for about 15 minutes.  When done, the egg should appear jiggly but set similar to soft tofu.  Serve hot or cold.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Ack! Sorry about your broken toe! :( Hope you feel better soon!

    I have a surplus of eggs right now. Love the simple ingredient list. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle - it's getting a little better every day :)

      Egg surplus is good! We go through 5 dozen every 2 weeks!

      Delete
  2. Hope you get better soon! :(

    I love how Asian desserts aren't too sweet. Is it still 150ml of milk if you use 2 whole eggs?

    Jemily Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! You typically want to use a little more liquid than you have egg and a 3:2 ratio seems to yield a pretty good consistency. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. 炖奶!thanks for the recipe, it is so timely - i recently moved from Asia to the US and am having all sorts of withdrawal symptoms from missing alot of my fav foods! This being one of them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, apologies for the delayed response! Hope the recipe worked well for you! And welcome to the US :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the recipe. It seems simple but I needed it. I'm Hmong but my husband's family is Hong Kong Chinese. Grandma's on vacation in Vietnam and Macau so grandpa's been missing her cooking and this is one of his favorites since he hates wearing his dentures. Maybe I can surprise him with a simple dinner from your recipes to brighten his spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that sounds so sweet - hope it all worked well!

      Delete
  5. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! I love egg custard. I'm going to try this with soy milk.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...